Wednesday 11 May 2011

‘I think you should terminate, the brain’s f***ed up’

We went round and round in circles in our thinking. We just didn’t want this to be happening. Perhaps our baby would be ok really? As with our first baby, while my head knew the truth, my heart was not having it. I was now 27 weeks pregnant and we needed a second opinion. So I spoke to a few people about who else, apart from our own consultant, would be good to see. We got a couple of recommendations for the same consultant, a professor with years of experience. We were warned his clinic sometimes overran by 5 hours, but we didn’t care, I just needed another view. Could things really be that grim? As it turned out, instead of seeing him at 4.30pm, we saw him at 9.30pm, so the five-hour overrun warning was correct.  But if we’d hoped for a different view, or even an ounce of sympathy, we were to be sorely disappointed.

He scanned me very briefly and announced, `` I think you should terminate, the brain’s fucked up.’’ Yes, that’s verbatim, I am NOT paraphrasing. To say we were shocked at how he was talking to us was an understatement. We had NOT seen this coming at all. If my jaw hadn’t been on the floor, I would have punched the horrible little *******. In fact I really wish I HAD punched the guy. He continued his consultation with phrases such as ‘when the brain’s this screwed up...’ etc etc. I thought how can you speak about my baby like that?! He may be in a bad way, but he hasn’t done anyone any harm, please be nice to him!!! We paid the bill (yes, we did pay him for his advice), and went out onto the pavement and sobbed into each others’ arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment